Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Practically Mt. Kenya (6/21/09)

On Sunday we expected to meet Edward and George, former Chairman of Mituntu, at 10 in the morning. In yet another example of Kenyan time, they came at about 1 pm, and we left with Barnabus to meet a poultry farmer. The purpose of our visit was to learn all we could from Beatrice Karimi Mwilaria, the successful farmer. She is a mentor to other women in the community, and has taught them how to raise chickens and then how to “pay it forward” by sharing both their knowledge and chickens with other women. Isabella Kaiedo was also with us, as she is one of the women who was taught by Beatrice and now is a “trainer of trainees,” or a TOT. They served us tea, of course, before we got down to business. We tried to get as much information as possible so that we can write a report detailing how Beatrice started, how she cares for her chickens, how the practice is sustained, and how she shares her wealth with others. I took pretty detailed notes so I think I know all the tricks now. As soon as I get home I’m starting my chicken farm!


Beatrice lives on a 5 acre shamba, or farm, where she grows staple crops like maize and peas. Unfortunately, she, like everyone else in the area, is suffering the effects of three years of drought. While her family’s home has the capacity for running water, the pipes are dry and she and everyone else who lives in the area must hike to a single spring daily to get water. There are about 20 families, over 100 people, who use this single spring.


Another project that Beatrice and the women’s group with which she is involved are working on is a nursery school for local children, as the regular schools are too far away for the youngest community members. Beatrice and Isabella wanted to show us where the school is, and when they pointed “just up the hill,” Mo, Barnabus and I thought it would be a nice little walk. (Note: I am wearing old crocs and a skirt.) It began easily enough, and slowly the road narrowed more and more until we were walking on a trail up to different very small communities. At the top of one path a crowd of children stared at us, and shouted “muzungu!” meaning white person (we hear that frequently). At first the kids just followed us from a bit of a distance, and then crept up and posed for photographs and started surrounding us. Each time we passed more children they joined the crowd. As our following grew, the “hill” got steeper, and when we got to one point, we started going down. This is when my crocs really began to fail. The sandy ground would have been fantastic sand skiing terrain, but unfortunately I was not prepared for that and started slipping down the path. As kids ran down the steep hill past me in bare feet, I felt pretty pathetic. I’m definitely one to refuse help when I feel like I need to prove my abilities, particularly in challenges like this, so this was especially embarrassing for me, especially with 35+ children watching my every move.


At one point, we had to jump over a ditch. The sides of the hill slanted into the ditch, and the closer I got to jumping, the more I slid. Eventually Barnabus tried to help me, but that failed miserably and honestly I wish I could have seen the catastrophe that ensued. In one swift turn, I was being pulled up the side of the ditch, Barnabus was struggling to keep his balance as he straddled the ditch, and Beatrice somehow ended up falling into the ditch (it was a deep ditch). Luckily the event ended in laughter and no serious injuries. Next time there is a risk of going for a hike, I will wear more appropriate footwear (although the fact that kids in bare feet had mastered the art of running up and down these paths made me think that I just shouldn’t wear shoes anymore).

Anyway, as the sun began to set, we still seemed to be going away from Beatrice’s home. We kept taking random turns and visiting more people and shaking hands with everyone we met. Needless to say I do not remember ever seeing a nursery school! The last stop we made was at the well dug near Isabella’s house. While there was water available at the bottom of it, it was muddy and not drinkable. Everywhere we’ve gone, access to clean water has been a huge issue. Beatrice put us on the spot at one point, asking what could be done about it. Without water, children cannot drink, there is harder to cook, fewer chickens can be supported, clothes for school cannot be washed, contaminated water brings sickness, individuals already suffering the effects of HIV/AIDS with weakened immune systems are at even greater risk. Even getting what little water there is requires so much energy and can be dangerous (at one point during our hike they asked if the path was too steep, adding that it was the same one they used when they carried jugs of water to their homes). It is unbelievable how much water plays a role in daily living. Access to clean water is quickly becoming one of the issues most important to me. Mo and I both had a little food and bottles of water that we would have loved to take out of our backpacks as we were hiking, but with all the children around, neither of us could bring ourselves to do that without being able to share with them.
The kids all seemed to lighthearted, though, and were just in awe of our presence, as muzungus. They even started singing, “I love you Jesus, you are my Savior!” to us at one point. I tried so hard not to laugh because they were treating us as though we came from some heavenly place, and they were so sweet and excited. At the same time I just couldn’t believe the whole thing was happening. Beatrice and Isabella gave them all a little piece of candy as we passed a small shop, and that was our farewell.
We were served lemonade and chatted for a while (by chatted, I mean Mo and I sat next to each other as all the Kenyans gathered conversed in Kiswahili. We have developed a game out of it, “translating” what they say into English).

As we left, we looked up at the sky and saw more stars than I have ever seen. I even spotted the big dipper on my own! Anyone who has ever tried to show me a constellation, I apologize because I was probably lying when I said I knew which stars you were pointing to. This time I was certain!
Sorry for the lengthy post – I still don’t think this description of the day does it justice!

Baadaye!

PS – Show some love, leave a comment.
Thanks if you’ve already left one, and thanks for reading!

3 comments:

  1. sounds amazing Graceski. Definitley more extreme than anywhere i've ever been. I have been called 'gringo' or 'foreigner' but not treated like that by the way i looked. Keep up the good work.

    Later
    Nick

    PS- don't be hating on the crocs- maybe you just have the wrong color. they're great shoes though and versatile in all conditions (except maybe snowy ones but kenya is not known for its snow)
    PPS- hows the training going? I can't imagine the rollerskiing is very good :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gracie! It sounds like you are having a great time! Home is not the same without you, I am so bored :( I can't believe I'll be leaving in a few weeks, so crazy. Do you have any tips for me now that you are an experienced traveler? I'm flying into Kili and then going to Arusha/Babati, which actually aren't that far from Kenya, so there is hope that we will run into eachother :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Graceeeeee! Sounds like you are having an amazing time! I just wanted to let you know I am a dilligent reader so keep writing! Well I must get back to analyzing my sea slug data :/.
    Elsie
    p.s. geeez all those hours i spent showing you constellations...
    O, and you're going to have to teach me Kiswahili when you get back if I ever see you!

    ReplyDelete